Friday, January 03, 2014

New Years Day Quilting

Happy New Year everyone!

I hope that you all had a great and safe New Years celebration and that, if you're in this area, kept warm!  It was -35 C today and that is COLD!

I spent New Years day as I did a couple of years ago making the Merry Mayhem's New Years Day Mystery quilt.  They gave us the first clue well ahead of time to do the prep work, and, when I saw that it was scrappy I JUMPED in with both feet to get rid of some scraps.  So, I spent New Years Day piecing this.


It used up so many small scraps out of my 2.5" strip bin and that made me very, very happy.  Between that and my other 2.5" strip project the bin is almost empty!! :-o  I know shocking.  Since I, frankly, had no need or place for this quilt I thought that it might be nice to donate it; so, now that the quilt is completely finished: it is quilted and bound and off to Victoria's Quilts to go to someone in need of comfort.  I know that the borders are uneven but I added them to bring the quilt up to the size that they like which, for this chapter is 50" x 70"

 

Here is a close-up of the quilting.  I used my Loricles Baptist Fan board again and I love the effect it gives - it makes the quilt look so vintage!  I backed it in a plaid homespun flannel out of my stash - yey!  It is quilted in 40 weight YLI cotton thread top and bobbin.  It went very smoothly and I think that the quilting really adds to the quilt.

So, what do you think?  Will this quilt make someone happy?

Do you plan on any charity quilting this year?

3 comments:

paulette said...

I LOVE EVERYTHING about this quilt!! WOW!! Well done!!
P

Vivian said...

This quilt is striking! Love it. While blog hopping this morning, the thumbnail photo caught my attention on a couple blog lists. Are the finished blocks 4-1/2"?
I followed your link to Victoria's Quilts. That's such a worthy organization to send your quilt to.
Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Bolts and Bobbins said...

I had good intentions, but, didn't get mine done. Will keep the pattern though as I love scrap quilts.
Nice to see Victoria's Quilts got this one. Being a member, I know they appreciate every quilt that is donated to them. Great work!

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...